Fasching (or carnival) in South Tyrol is colourful, great fun and totally exuberant, and many towns and valleys have their own traditions and customs. They get down to serious celebrations in particular between Fat Thursday and Shrove Tuesday, with legendary events such as the Zusslrennen or Zussl race and the Maschgertanz (masked ball) in Prato allo Stelvio. Dressed in white from head to toe and adorned with coloured ribbons and flowers, the "Zussl" drive away the winter. From Carnival Sunday to Shrove Tuesday, the "Maschger" (masked couples) dance their way through the village, joking with everyone they encounter.
In the nearby village of Gossensaß there is something truly special to look forward to this year, the carnival show named Gossywood. This particularly large procession with carnival floats, superb costumes and all that goes with it, takes place here only once every five years on Carnival Sunday. From the Thursday before, it is possible to see the floats on which work gets underway already in the summer. There is a non-stop series of events leading up to Shrove Tuesday:
- 20 February, from 8:02 p.m.: Opening
- 21 February, from 8:00 p.m. Blääck Freidei (obviously a pun on Black Friday)
- 22 February, from 8:00 p.m. Hash (#) Gossywood2020 (kids' event programme starting at 2:00 p.m.)
- 23 February, from 1:33 p.m. Big carnival procession
- 24 February, from 8:00 p.m. Women's Carnival
- 25 February, from 2:00 p.m. Carnival ice-skating for kids
With us on Shrove Tuesday in Hotel Plunhof, there will be live music and guests are welcome to dress up for carnival if they wish. After the evening meal, we will continue to party in the bar area.
We wish you all a fantastic, fun-packed carnival!